Many individuals find it difficult to start sleeping at night, and this potentially affects their wellbeing. Knowing how to do to it quickly will possibly help in improving mental health and physical health. It usually takes 10 to 20 minutes for one to begin to sleep. Some differences from this time may not necessarily be an indication of an issue with health. That said, routinely finding it tough to start sleeping is an indication of a health issue, like insomnia. It possibly takes some practice to do it. Gradually, these methods will likely aid you in falling asleep fast.
The Military Technique
The source of this method is the US military. While the whole method may take 2 minutes, what you will do in the last 10 seconds is the most important factor in falling asleep.
- Tighten your face muscles for a short time, and then relax these tissues. Let your tongue loosen itself.
- Drop the shoulders, and keep the arms dangling near your body.
- Breathe in and breathe out normally, and relax your chest at the same time.
- Make the lower legs and thighs loose.
- Let thoughts arrive at your mind and leave it naturally. Just do not dwell on the thoughts.
- Visualize a calming scene, like one straight out of a fantasy movie. If you cannot imagine it, just keep telling yourself not to think.
- You will fall asleep after just a few seconds.
It is worth noting that studies do not back the efficacy of the method. Many different online resources mention it, but research is required for proving that it is effective in helping to start sleeping in 10 seconds.
The Technique Of Counting Breaths
This breathing technique is simple and possibly efficacious.
- Close your eyes and inhale deeply for a while. After that, let the air come – avoid slowing or quickening your inhalation.
- Count every single time you breathe out until you arrive at five. After that, repeat the whole process. Avoid counting inhalation. In the event of forgetting the count, just restart it.
Practice will simplify your breathing process.
Progressive Muscle Relaxation
This is another well-known method for people having anxiety. As per a piece of research, it is likely to aid people in falling asleep quickly and improving the quality of their sleep.
To do it, make every single group of your muscles tight, and then deliberately loosen these again.
- Tense the tissues on your face, and then make these loose.
- After that, loosen the tissues on the shoulders and neck.
- Keep relaxing every other muscle in your body, from the top parts to your toes.
You might just fall asleep when doing this exercise or soon after completing it.
The pressure of falling asleep could occasionally keep you from dropping off. A technique loosely associated with reverse psychology, called paradoxical intention could just solve this. To do it, just try staying awake when in bed. Over time, this move might just clear your performance anxiety concerning falling asleep.
Some pieces of research show that paradoxical intention is effective, whereas other studies discovered that it is not beneficial at all. Anyhow, you should consider trying it, particularly in the event of the other techniques not doing the trick.
Some of the other ways of promoting sleep are as follows.
Correct Sleep Hygiene
Change habits in the day and before you go to bed, because it possibly simplifies the process of falling asleep, plus improves the quality and length of sleep.
- Research recommends doing much exercise in the daytime, and not exercising as the bedtime approaches because the latter activity possibly produces stimulation.
- Stretching before going to sleep might aid in improving sleep.
- Consider not drinking alcohol and not ingesting any other stimulant for many hours before sleep time.
- Avoid consuming greasy, spicy or fatty food items before sleeping.
- Be sure to keep the bedroom temperature at a level between 15°C and 18°C to have the best possible sleep.
- Keep your bedroom dark, use the least light-emitting devices in the room, and think about covering the eyes with a mask when required.
- When you cannot reduce noise indoors or outdoors, just utilize earplugs. Consider utilizing a device that creates a nature-like sound that can calm you.
- Be sure to keep your bedclothes, nightdress and mattress clean and comfortable to use.
- Use lavender on bedclothes before lying in bed. Certain animal trials suggest that using lavender regularly possibly quickens the onset of sleep and lengthens sleep duration.
Reach Out If Required
There are only so many physical and mental health tips that one can give you. So, when nothing appears to be working for you, just seek medical help. If you are on other medication or experience any other health issue, avoid consuming new supplements without talking to a medical professional.